A Mortician's Tale
A downloadable game for Windows and macOS
A Mortician's Tale is a narrative-driven death positive video game where you play as a mortician tasked with running a funeral home. Take on the role of recent funeral direction graduate Charlie as she learns the ropes of the business and industry. Prepare the bodies of the deceased (via embalming or cremation), attend their funerals and listen to their loved ones' stories, and interact with Charlie's coworkers, clients, and bosses.
A Mortician's Tale is an informative, honest, and sometimes humorous look at the current state of and the future of the western death industry.
- Explore the colorful world of Rose and Daughters Funeral Home — from the morgue itself to the viewing room where funerals take place
- Prepare 8 different bodies using realistic tools and procedures involved with traditional burials and cremations
- Talk to the deceased's loved ones, discover their stories, and learn how each of them mourns in different ways
- Follow Charlie's journey at Rose and Daughters Funeral Home as it transitions from a family-run business to being bought and owned by a massive funeral conglomerate and beyond
- Discover some real life truths about the current state of and future of the western funeral industry
“One Of 2017's Best Games... It elicits dark feelings, but asks players to consider where those feelings came from and what makes them dark.”
One Of Polygon's Best Games of 2017 — "The video game industry is built on the destruction of bodies of all kinds. How refreshing to play a game that asks you to care for them, even after their life has left."
“82/100 — An approachable and thought-provoking meditation on life’s only certainty.”
– PC Gamer
“Recommended — This is a beautiful game. It scared me. It moved me. Most of all, it made me stop what I was doing and think.”
"8/10 — [A Mortician's Tale] is a short game, only an hour or so long, but it leaves an impact far beyond its runtime. Give it a chance, and it might just change the way you think about death."
|Published||Mar 15, 2017|
|Authors||Laundry Bear Games, junklatch|
|Tags||death-positive, Female Protagonist, funeral, LGBT, Low-poly, Mouse only, Point & Click, Singleplayer, Story Rich, Unity|
|Average session||A few seconds|
|Accessibility||Color-blind friendly, Subtitles|
|Links||Steam, Twitter, Homepage|
|Mentions||Let's get sad and talk about death and s..., Our favorite paid games of 2017|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $9.74 USD. You will get access to the following files: